Information we collect
In order to provide our customers with our products and services, we may collect and use personal information about you and others. If we are not provided with all the personal information we request, we may not be able to supply our products and services.
The type of information we collect includes names, addresses, dates of birth, gender and other contact details. We may also collect financial information, such as bank statements or loan documentation, to verify your financial capacity.
We do not normally collect or store ‘sensitive information’, as defined in the Privacy Act 1988 (eg. information about ethnic origin, religious beliefs or health). However, where we are required to and it is practicable to do so, we will seek your consent before collecting your sensitive information and inform you of the purpose at the same time.
How we collect personal information
Generally, we collect an individual’s personal information from that individual. For example we may collect information from you when you:
- provide information to us at any of our New South Wales Allcastle Homes Display Centres;
- request a quotation or tender document or enter into a building contract with us; or
- contact us to provide complaints or obtain customer service.
We may also collect information about you from third parties. For example, from any other organisation with which you have had any dealings, or from publicly maintained records.
How we store personal information
We take all reasonable steps to keep secure any personal information which we hold about you and to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration. Any personal information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Access to personal information is limited to those of our personnel who specifically need it to carry out their business responsibilities. We also maintain physical security procedures to manage and protect the use and storage of records containing personal information.
You acknowledge that any information sent via the internet is not secure and can potentially be accessed by unauthorised third parties. We are not responsible or liable for the security of your data whilst it is in transit via the internet to us.
Purpose of collection
We collect your personal information to:
- identify our clients, potential clients and their representatives;
- provide the products and services you have requested;
- inform you of any initiatives we think may be of interest to you;
- inform you about our products and services and the benefits of using our products and services;
- provide you with information about offers or other benefits that may become available;
- seek your opinion or comments about our products and services;
- conduct competitions or promotions on behalf of Allcastle Homes and selected third parties;
- carry out billing and/or debt recovery activities;
- carry out our management, administrative, quality assurance and complaint handling activities in a professional and efficient manner;
- develop and implement initiatives to improve our products and services; and/or
- comply with our disclosure requirements under any law, for example in relation to town planning, taxation or other government functions.
Use and Disclosure
We use and disclose the personal information we collect for the purposes indicated above, and for other secondary purposes.
We usually disclose the personal information we collect to our related entities, service providers and contractors, who help us supply our products and services. For example, we may disclose the personal information we collect to:
- home and building approval authorities, certifiers, engineers, material suppliers, subcontractors;
- utility service providers, such as Sydney Water Corporation;
- government organisations such as the Australian Bureau of Statistics, which collects information about building approvals, and the Australian Taxation Office;
- professional advisors such as legal practitioners and accountants;
- insurers and debt collectors; and
- any person or organisation who may be interested in buying the whole or part of our business.
Except where indicated above, we will not use or disclose personal information unless:
- you have consented to the use and disclosure;
- the third party to which the information is disclosed is our service provider or contractor, in which case we will require them to use and disclose the personal information only for the purpose for which it was provided to them;
- the third party to which the information is disclosed is a person involved in a dealing or proposed dealing (including a sale) of all or part of our assets and business;
- the third party to which the information is disclosed is your creditor, banker, financier, credit provider, mortgage insurer or trade insurer;
- the disclosure is to a related body corporate;
- we reasonably believe that the use or disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious, immediate threat to someone’s health or safety, or the public’s health or safety; or
- the disclosure is permitted, required or authorised by or under law.
We may use personal information to advise you of new products and marketing initiatives that we think may be of interest. This may include product and service offerings, newsletters and general information about us.
If you prefer not to receive information about our products and services you can ask to be removed from the relevant circulation list by contacting us, using the details listed below, or by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link on the bottom of each piece of electronic information.
We never disclose personal information to a third party for the purpose of allowing them to direct market their products or service to you, unless you have expressly consented to that disclosure.
If at any time you want to know what personal information we hold about you, you are welcome to request access to that information by contacting us, using the details listed below. However, where:
- the access impacts on the privacy of others;
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious;
- there are existing or anticipated legal proceedings; or
- such access can be denied under law or by a law enforcement agency,
we may deny your request for access.
If we deny your request for access, we will let you know why.
We may also charge a fee to cover the reasonable costs we incur in processing your request.
Quality & correction
At all times we strive to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If at any time you believe the personal information that we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, you should let us know. We will use all reasonable efforts to correct the information.
Website & cookies
To ensure we are meeting the needs and wants of our website users, and to develop our online services, we may collect aggregated information by using cookies or similar electronic tools.
We do not use this technology to access any personal information of a user in our records and a user cannot be personally identified from a cookie.
We are committed to constantly improving our procedures so that personal information is treated appropriately. If you feel that we have failed to deal with your personal information in accordance with this policy or in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles, please contact us, using the details listed below, so we have an opportunity to resolve the issue to your satisfaction.
We will log your complaint and our privacy officer will:
- listen to your concerns and grievances;
- discuss with you the ways in which we can remedy the situation; and
- put in place an action plan to resolve your complaint and improve our information handling procedures if appropriate.
No disclosure to overseas recipients
We are not likely to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients.
If you require more detailed information about our information handling practices or if you have any concerns about our handling of your personal information, please let us know by contacting us at:
Allcastle Homes Pty Limited
10 Kenoma Place
Arndell Park NSW 2148
We will endeavour to respond to your concerns as quickly as possible.